Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Old books, Old Friends

I recently heard about a different approach to reading I'm going to try in 2009: going back to the good books in your library again and again. There's an old saying that great books are not written, they're rewritten. In other words, an author should give his manuscript more than one pass. It can also be said that great books shouldn't be merely read, they should be re-read.

Spurgeon said: "Master those books you have. Read them thoroughly. Bathe in them until they saturate you. Read and reread them, masticate and digest them...A student will find that his mental constitution is more affected by one book thoroughly mastered than by twenty books he has merely skimmed."

As we work our way into the New Year, I've been thinking about my reading list for 2009. There are a few books I read every year or so -- if not the whole volume, at least certain chapters and/or sections that I find especially helpful. Here are some of them.

The Purpose Driven Life (Rick Warren)

Communicating for a Change (Andy Stanley)

A Tale of Three Kings (Gene Edwards)

Visioneering (Andy Stanley)

Celebration of Discipline (Richard Foster)

Courageous Leadership (Bill Hybels)

Mere Christianity (C.S. Lewis)

Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire (Jim Cymbala)

Your Road Map For Success (John Maxwell)

The Power of Positive Living: An Autobiography (Norman Vincent Peale)

These books have become my friends. They encourage me during difficult days, they tell me what I need to hear, they remind me of things I have forgotten, they challenge me to try again, they help me become more holy -- to see Christ more clearly, to love him more dearly, to follow him more nearly, as the old song says.

I encourage you to give some thought to which books on your bookshelf are worth a second look -- and add them to your list for 2009. I'd also like to know what you plan on reading...drop me a line and let me know!

5 comments:

Randall E. Mark said...

Let's see, how do I narrow the list? First off a couple of books I am currently reading:

1) How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth (Gordon Fee)

2) Retreat from Gettysburg: Lee, Logistics, and the Pennsylvania Campaign (Kent Masterson Brown)

3) The Mortification of Sin (John Owen)

4) The Pillars of Christian Character (John MacArthur)

On the Docket:

1) Systematic Theology (Charles Hodge)

2) Systematic Theology (Wayne Grudem)

3) Foundations of Grace (Steven J. Lawson)

4) Bondage of the Will (Martin Luther)

And a stack of 30 other books

Re-Read in '09:

There is much to be gained by rereading great books, but there are always so many new ones that I find it difficult to discipline myself to read books again.

1) Christless Christianity (Michael Horton) Recently released, but I will probably read again in '09.

2) Culture Making: Recovering Our Creative Calling (Andy Crouch) Another thought-provoking book that requires a second read.

I will have to scan my shelves to see what else should get a second (or more) go-round in '09.

By the way, nice picture of you and Marvina.

Randall

churchoftoday said...

How come the bible is not listed?

I think we all need to spend more time in God's word. So many times we look to hear what we want to hear and, not hear what God wants us to hear.

there are a total of 66 different books right in the bible. 66, and each time you read them they are not rewritten, but God will speak to you in a different way.

I am not saying reading others ideas are bad, but rather, we need to ensure we are not seeking mans approval, or mans ear tickle, but yet god's approval in our life.

Del Smith said...

The Bible is foundational to all we do and who we are. It hovers over the list; it stands alone. It's self-explanatory.

churchoftoday said...

You say it hovers over the list and is self-explanatory. But I have seen so many People begining to be consumed by books outside the 66 God wrote, that it begins to permiate in all areas of life.

I have seen People forsake their first love, by becoming consumed with mans ideas. Thats my caution, I see Pastors talk about everything but the word of God. I have seen them preach, tell stories, quote some writers and then quote 2 scriptures that they picked to fit their sermon.

This is not an attack on you, but only observations.

You can not say "The Bible is foundational to all we do and who we are"
You can say this for yourself only, not for anyone else as you can not control anyone but yourself.

We need to talk about God's word more and man less, Mens writtings can not save anyone. time is short, there is much to be done.

Del Smith said...

By saying the Bible is foundational to all we do I meant at CLC. It is the focal point of every service, gathering, etc. I agree individually each person can be consumed with something other Scripture.