Tuesday, April 7, 2009

All You Can Eat

I know this may not be too surprising to many of you, but I like to eat. As a typical man I live with the TV remote control attached to my hand, but will always stop when I come across the Food Network. I love it...a TV channel about one of my favorite hobbies!

Not too long ago I heard about a restaurant in Denver that's right up my ally! They charge no set price for their meals. It's called the So All May Eat (SAME) Cafe. They operate on a "pay what you want" model.

No set prices. Customers can pay whatever they want. If you're unable to pay, they ask you to volunteer for an hour.

The cafe is an alternative to a soup kitchen. The food is good enough (it's organically grown health food) that customers don't mind paying for it; it's inexpensive enough that anyone eat there. Some people pay $10 for the cafe's pizza and salads, some pay for their meals by bussing tables and washing dishes.

I don't know if the owners, Brad and Libby Burky, are Christ followers -- but this is a great model for churches to follow. It's how the early church was described.

All the believers were together and had everything in common. (Acts 2:44)

No comments: