Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year - Goals for '09!

Happy New Year! It’s amazing how quickly this day comes. Doesn’t it seem only a couple of months ago we welcomed 2008? I guess it’s true what they say: the older you get the faster time flies by!

As I blogged a couple of days ago I’ve been reviewing and reflecting on 2008 and 2009. 2008 was a year of transition for me; both personally and publicly. In some ways it was one of the hardest years of my life, and in other ways it was the greatest.

Nevertheless, looking to 2009 I’m excited about the potential of what is to come! That which is before us is greater than that which is behind us!

As I’ve pondered over the days ahead I’ve written out several goals I’m aiming for in 2009. I’m a little gun-shy to put all this out in public, but feel it’s therapeutic to make them known publicly. Below are some of the things I’ve designated as goals in my life for 2009. There are a few others that are more personal and private; only God and I know about those.

Hopefully, these motivate you do establish your own list.

GOALS FOR ‘09

1. Read at least 40 books this year…from fiction to non-fiction

2. Read the Bible in chronological order completely

3. Maintain my weight under 200lbs…this one is gonna kill me…I’m too much of a “foodie”

4. Run a Half Marathon…this one is gonna kill me…see above!

5. Lead CLC to 2,000+ in attendance…we were there once and we can get there again!

6. Improve as a Leader/Coach… for my kids, my staff, and other leaders/pastors I serve

7. Do a 40 day Daniel Fast…this one is gonna kill me…you get the picture!

8. Start initial work on a Doctoral Degree

9. Do a personal retreat at a monastery

10. Take a vacation with my entire family…the older my kids get the harder this is.

11. Live with vision…ask God to enlarge my view of things so I can see the possibilities of his work in my life.

12. Husband my wife…my goal is to help Marvina see the beginnings of the fulfillment of God's 'word' on her life.

4 comments:

Gerald said...

Del, thanks for being brave and posting this list. I'm planning to do the same (and not just to jump on the bandwagon!).

I agree that it can be frightening to put things like this out there, but as I've found (and I'm sure you and others have also), there's power in sharing goals like this. For one thing, when something gets out of your head and into public, it's much more real. It also makes you accountable, even if it's only informally. Now that you've put it out there that you're going to run a half-marathon, you're likely to have people asking you how the training is going. Hard to let it drop off your radar then!

You're also going to get unsolicited reactions and advice. Like this: the item on your list that surprised me the most was starting on your doctorate, and only because it wasn't something you've ever talked about. I'm proud of you for doing it, and will be praying for you to do phenomenally well!

Anyway, best of luck with your goals, and I hope you'll look for my list soon, too!

Unknown said...

Pastor Del,
Thank you for sharing some of your goals and making yourself transparent. I pray that in 2009 that God brings all of your goals to come to pass. You are a great Pastor and leader and we trully appreciate all that you are doing at CLC.

Last night's service was so moving for me. It was so meant for me to be there. The songs...words... and prayers spoken have truly touched me. And I know that 2009 will be a great year for me. I was able to leave all of my baggage from 2008 on that altar last night. Thank you!

DAS said...

If everyone were to invite 20 neighbors to Christian Life Center in the coming months ... we might just reach Pastor Del's goal of 2,000 members this year.

That's how I first came to Christian Life... when my neighbor invited me one Sunday about a year and a half ago. (ironically, he moved and I don't see him there anymore)

There are some great info pamphlets describing CLC in wall boxes in hallways outside the Church sanctuary which are great for leaving on neighborhood doorsteps.

churchoftoday said...

Neat List a& Honest which is a good virtue. But I want to encourage you on something, be careful about wanting to grow CLC to over 2000. Please take the time to find out why it went below 2000 in the first place.

God is one who wants us to learn from our past mistakes, even if they are not our own.

Make sure you add to the church of not transitional growth, but of people coming to Christ for the very first time.

You had stated in your previous postings about the church "Churn" rate. This is you oppertunity to change that.

This is the time to build CLC people into disciples who are passionate about Jesus Christ, and passionate about not wanting to see their neighbors, friends, co workers go to hell.

This is the oppertunity to build disciples, not converts or church shoppers.